Christopher Embree Haley, Director for the Study of the Legacy of Slavery for Maryland
Chris has also served on several boards, including the Historic London Town Foundation, the Jake Savage Foundation and the Annapolis Arts Alliance Foundation. His script for the 2004 The Reconciliation Walk for Slavery and Penitence held in Annapolis helped garner the Maryland Tourism Council Global Marketing Award for the Kunta Kinte - Alex Haley Foundation. He is the nephew of Alex Haley, author of Roots.
Chris Haley is also an actor, performer, writer, and speaker whose credits include HBO's The Wire, Partners of the Heart, and America's Most Wanted. He has also appeared in productions of Last Days of Judas Iscariot, Blue / Orange, Back of the Throat, Permanent Collection, Ain't Misbehavin', Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Jesus Christ Superstar, Six Degrees of Separation, and many more.
Interviews and Speeches
- Chris Haley on a Search of His Own - Chris talked with Valerie Swayne about his uncle and his memories of watching Roots • January 22, 2007.
- Chris Haley on the Utopia Film Festival - Chris Haley spoke with Timothy Wilson of The Root DC about the Utopia Film Festival • October 27, 2011.
- Chris Haley Featured in Grove Street Magazine. - Chris Haley spoke with his cousin, Andrea Blackstone, of Grove Street Magazine • February 2013.
- 2014 President's Day Address - Washington's Birthday Speech • Old House of Delegates Chamber • Maryland State House • February 17, 2014.
"Dreaming Out Loud"
It was, George Bernard Shaw, who originally said, "You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?' " We all dream. We all sleep at night or nap during the day and previously unscreened movies play in our heads. When they involve things we wish would happen, we call them dreams. When they include things we fear happening we call them nightmares. I named this blog in the spirit of Shaw's words; when we, fully conscious, imagine a future and say "why not?" or the past and muse "what if?" What if everyone realizes they daydream out loud like everyone else?
Note: In his article, Alex Haley–A Writer of Destiny, Barnaby Conrad also quoted from the same Irish Playright as Chris by stating, "Alex [Haley] is gone now, and I will simply say, in the words of George Bernard Shaw, 'I can lose a friend like that by my death but not by his.' "
- Home on a Saturday Night - Originally posted on 2/26/2012 12:50 AM.
- Small Time Actor on a Big Time Night - Originally posted on 3/3/2012 12:35 PM.
- Rush to Judgement - Originally posted on 3/15/2012 9:46 PM.
- Do Clothes Make or Mark the Man? - Originally posted on 3/30/2012 1:20 AM.
- Genealogy at the Club - Originally posted on 4/27/2012 10:55 PM.
- Fear - Originally posted on 5/7/2012 9:55 AM.
- What's in a Name? - Originally posted on 5/27/2012 2:37 PM.
- The - Originally posted on 8/11/2012 4:29 PM.
- Acceptance - Originally posted on 8/17/2012 5:28 PM.
- Tis the Season for Contention, Fa La La—Your Party Sucks! - Originally posted on 8/27/2012 5:27 PM.
- Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter - Originally posted on 2/13/2013 12:10 AM.
- Trust - Originally posted on 2/16/2013 11:59 PM.
- Bla Bla Blog! - Originally posted on 2/22/2013 11:47 PM.
- The I'm not Crying, But I might be Dying sure-fire Diet Plan, Part 1 - Originally posted on 7/4/2013 1:41 PM.
- Who Really Stood His Ground? - Originally posted on 7/13/2013 11:49 PM.
- The I'm not Crying, But I might be Dying sure-fire Diet Plan, Part 2 - Originally posted on 8/26/2013 4:16 PM.
- An attempt to defend Miley Cyrus...sort of - Originally posted on 8/28/2013 1:06 AM.
Audio Podcasts and Interviews
|You Are a Part of History|
Thursday April 17, 2014 5:00 pm Narrator: Chris Haley
Humanities Connection, © 2014 WYPR. All Rights Reserved.
You Can Also Visit Chris Haley's Personal Website: Chris Haley Online
Alex Haley Roots Foundation Contacts
|Bill Haley Jr.||Chris Haley||Andrea Blackstone|
|Chief Executive Officer|
|Public Speaker / Actor / Performer|
|Grove Street Magazine Founder|